Maaike Gouwenberg // co-project director
Joris Lindhout // co-project director
Deltaworkers is a nomadic artistic production and residence program that investigates the southern states of the U.S. as one of the last mythical places in the West. We host and present European artists from different disciplines in New Orleans, a city that forms the perfect gateway to the south; a region where many of the historical, socio-political and cultural roots of U.S culture can be found.
In the fall of 2010, co founders—Maaike Gouwenberg and Joris Lindhout—made a three-month road trip through the southern states of the US. The specific aim of this trip was to investigate notions surrounding the Southern Gothic literary genre, on which we were writing a book and creating an exhibition. Our continued fascination with the southern states sparked our ideas for Deltaworkers, a platform through which we can share our intrigue for this part of the world.
The name Deltaworkers is taken from the two cities where the project is based in: Rotterdam (NL) and New Orleans, which are both located in a river delta.
- Deltaworkers receives residents roughly from March until May
- The maximum residency period is 3 months, the minimum 4 weeks
- A residency offers communal living space, an assistant and introduction to our extended network based on the original proposal
- It does not require a final outcome at the end of the residency period but we do want to show the eventual outcome in New Orleans when applicable
- It requires at least one public presentation at one of our partner institutions
- Multi-disciplinary practitioners, visual artists, designers, theatre makers & performers, filmmakers, writers and musicians are accepted
- Three artists (or duo’s) can be accommodated at a time
Support for Deltaworkers can be made by donating to its fiscal sponsor the National Performance Network. Click the button below and you will be directed to Network for Good’s Donate Now service. Next to “Program Designation,” click on the drop-down box and select “Deltaworkers.”
NPN is a recognized 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. All contributions support the programming of NPN and the designated programs of the New Orleans Local Network, and are fully tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law. All donations are acknowledged by letter. We don’t engage in phone solicitation, nor will we sell or rent your contact information to any third party.