The Visual Artists Network (VAN) Exhibition Residency Program is designed to offer individual visual artists and artist collectives the opportunity to travel in the U.S. and exhibit their work in a one-week residency. Distinct as a touring program, VAN Exhibition Residencies emphasize travel and community engagement to support artists in overcoming economic barriers and geographic isolation, to connect with peers and audiences outside of their studios and home communities.
Each VAN Partner is entitled to subsidies for the support of one week of residency annually. VAN Partners select artists through their own curatorial processes; NPN does not take part in the selection of artists nor does it maintain a roster of artists.
VAN’s Standard Contract and Fee Structure
VAN subsidizes artist compensation through a standard contract and fee structure to ensure equitable and productive relationships between the host organization and the artist-in-residence. VAN provides 42% of the total artist fee and the VAN Partner must provide a 58% match. The VAN standard contract parallels that of the Performance Residency Program and includes:
- Artist Salary: $700 per week per artist
- Fringe Benefits: $70 per week per artist
- Lead Artist Fee: In the case of co-creations, collectives, collaborations, the Lead Artist serves a general leadership role in the residency and acts as liaison to the VAN Partner. The Lead Artist shall receive a flat fee of $300.
- Transportation: The most economical round-trip transportation
- Housing: $75 per night per person ($90/night for New York City and San Francisco), based on double occupancy
- Per Diem: $40 per day per artist and assistant
- Administrative Allowance: A flat rate of $500 to cover the artist’s administrative and overhead expenses, including telephone/internet charges, publicity materials, postage, office supplies, and/or local transportation (car rental, parking, taxis, public transportation, airport transfers, etc.)
- Exhibition Allowance: Up to $2,000 for the purchase of materials, services, and/or rental of equipment integral to the exhibit and/or residency activities (e.g. shipping/freight, crating, framing, site specific installation materials, workshop supplies, carpentry services, delivery charges, etc.)
- Insurance Allowance: Up to $500 for the artist to secure or offset the cost of fine art, public art, and/or liability insurance in the artist’s name
Learn more about the Visual Artists Network (VAN) in the VAN section of our website.
The Visual Artists Network is made possible by the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, the Joan Mitchell Foundation, the Ford Foundation, and the Pollock-Krasner Foundation. The VAN Partners also make a significant contribution to the program through their matching dollars and annual dues.