NPN/VAN’s Annual Conference is a dynamic international forum for artists, arts leaders, activists, organizers, funders, and others to develop a more artist-centered, just, and sustainable performing and visual arts field.
Over four days, NPN/VAN Partners, artists, funders, and colleagues assemble to consider current issues, share solutions, examine local, national and international policies that shape the cultural environment, and expand knowledge.
At the AC, unlike at most other conferences, artists are integral to the meeting. The Annual Conference directly addresses artist equity issues by subsidizing artists’ attendance, creating a platform where artists and presenters are equal peer participants and by partnering with the local community. The Annual Conference also provides opportunities to share the work of local, national, and international artists through ArtBursts (popup performances throughout the Meeting), visual arts exhibitions, performances, and live-streaming. “Live & On Stage” features Creation Fund-commissioned performances as well as work curated by the local hosts. In order to foster intentional networking, attendance is invitation-only.
The Annual Conference, formerly called the Annual Meeting, is held in a different U.S. city each year, and is hosted by local Partners in collaboration with the NPN/VAN National Office. For the 2017 meeting we’ll be in San Francisco, CA, December 14-17, 2017.
Past meetings have been held in the following cities. Links indicate years in which information is still available online:
- Annual Meeting 2016: Austin, TX
- Annual Meeting 2015: Portland, OR
- Annual Meeting 2014: Tulsa, OK
- Annual Meeting 2013: New Orleans, LA
- Annual Meeting 2012: Philadelphia, PA
- Annual Meeting 2011: Tampa, Florida
- Annual Meeting 2010: Dallas, Texas
- Annual Meeting 2009: Knoxville, Tennessee
- Annual Meeting 2008: Seattle, Washington
- Annual Meeting 2007: New Orleans, Louisiana
- Annual Meeting 2006: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Annual Meeting 2005: Miami, Florida
- Annual Meeting 2004: Los Angeles, California
- Annual Meeting 2003: Chicago, Illinois
- Annual Meeting 2002: Washington, DC
- Annual Meeting 2001: Durham, North Carolina
- Annual Meeting 2000: New Orleans, Louisiana (held in July 2001)