NPN engages locally while acting nationally and internationally, sharing its resources with its home community — the organizations and artists of New Orleans. Since 2004 when NPN inaugurated the practice and principles underlying its local involvement as a fiscal sponsor and intermediary partner, 17 projects have benefited from NPN’s services.
In 2011 the National Performance Network expanded its level of support by creating an intentional learning community with its locally sponsored projects, called the NPN Local Network. NPN offers technical assistance, educating artists and staff about planning, financial management, and resource development. The Local Network’s goals are to encourage these organizations to develop effective management and planning tools; become familiar and comfortable with standard fiscal controls; successfully seek grants and contributions; develop good governance structures; and be powerful advocates on their own behalf in local and state policy arenas. NPN has created a peer network among the sponsored projects, built on a framework that encourages collaboration and exchange, developing a learning community in New Orleans that works together to strengthen organizational practices.
Currently, NPN is working with the following artists and organizations. Click on the links to learn more about them.
- Adeline Edwards Foundation
- Africa NOLA
- Artist Corps New Orleans
- Climbing PoeTree
- The Cocoon: Youth Empowerment Program
- Dawn DeDeaux’s projects
- Distillery Artist Residency
- Make Music NOLA (formerly called Youth Orchestra of the Lower 9th Ward)
- Mardi Gras Indian Hall of Fame
- Mel Chin’s Operation Paydirt/Fundred Dollar Bill Project
- Music Inside Out with Gwen Thompkins
- New Orleans Airlift
- New Orleans Black Indians Alliance
- New Orleans Community Printshop
- NOLA Mix
- Pelican Bomb and The Drop
- Sally Heller’s “Linked” Project
- Skin Horse Theater
These organizations are now operating independently:
Projects that achieved their goals and concluded programming:
- Contemporary Visual Arts Association of New Orleans (CVAANO)
- Home, New Orleans?
- Lisa Silvestri’s Portrait Project
- Porch 7th Ward Cultural Organization
- Transforma Projects
Indefinitely ceased programming:
NPN receives support from the Quixote Foundation for its Local Program.