Artists and the Network
NPN/VAN Partners bring to national attention some of the most exciting and stimulating new work in dance, theater, music, visual, and multidisciplinary art being created across the United States. Through both direct and indirect support to touring artists, NPN/VAN stimulates social creativity and artistic excellence. NPN/VAN’s advocacy efforts on behalf of longer residencies, better pay and more equitable agreements have made the organization a leader in the international performing arts community.
For touring artists, NPN/VAN is a source for funding and support. It provides access to bookings, commissions, professional development and peer networking. The NPN/VAN National Programs create extended opportunities for artists to interact with audiences, schools, social service agencies and other community groups far beyond the public stage or exhibition space. For artists new to touring, NPN/VAN can provide an important first opportunity to be recognized and promoted beyond regional boundaries. The NPN/VAN standard contract and fee structure also ensures artists that all the terms and conditions of their bookings will be understood and in keeping with professional standards and fair compensation to artists.
How to Tour with NPN/VAN Support
There is no pre-selected roster of NPN/VAN artists. NPN/VAN Partners select individual artists and artists companies based on their own curatorial visions and community needs, with no influence from the NPN/VAN National Office. After reviewing the NPN/VAN Annual Report and Directory, particularly the curatorial statements, we suggest interested artists initiate direct contact with the NPN/VAN Partners that seem well matched with their work.
The number of NPN/VAN artist residencies in a given year is determined by available funding. Approximately 100 weeks of residencies at venues across the country will be supported in 2014-15.
While the artist selection process is unique to each NPNVAN Partner, all NPN/VAN Performance and Exhibition residencies adhere to the following standards:
- NPN/VAN Performance and Exhibition Residency program subsidies are for out-of-town artists only
- Creation Fund subsidies are for either local or out-of-town artists, and, due to funding, only available to performing artists working with an NPN Partner as commissioner
- Artists must be willing to work under the NPN/VAN standard contract and fee structure
- No artist/artist company may participate in more than 5 NPN/VAN residencies per year
- All performing artist/artist companies must tour with at least one technical person
Check out this FAQ