The National Performance Network and Visual Artists Network (NPN/VAN) believes artists and arts organizations are essential for creating a just and sustainable world. We invest in artists all along the lifecycle of their work and careers – including creation and development, touring and exhibition, community engagement, and professional development.
NPN/VAN’s services to artists are initiated through our Partner organizations, rather than from artists directly, and our Partners make all curatorial decisions. Artists who are interested in being supported by NPN/VAN should review our Partner profiles and contact directly those NPN/VAN Partner(s) that seem well suited to their work.
Each year, NPN/VAN supports approximately 100 weeks of residencies at venues across the U.S., and in Latin America and Japan; funds 20 new commissioning projects; presents dozens of artists at our annual conference; and seeks artists as decision-makers on committees, funding panels, Board of Directors, and more.
Artists and the Network
NPN/VAN Partners bring to national attention some of the most exciting and stimulating new work in performing and visual arts being created around the world. Through both direct and indirect support to touring and exhibiting artists, NPN/VAN:
- fosters greater support across the continuum for new work, from inception to presentation
- increases artist mobility so that artists and their work reaches communities throughout the country
- encourages meaningful engagement between artists, audiences, and organizations beyond the stage or gallery
- promotes artists throughout our national and international network and to the broader arts sector
- ensures more equitable fee structures and agreements between artists and presenters
- invests in artists’ careers and leadership development, providing both creative and professional support for artists
Check out this FAQ for more information.